[erlang-questions] Cowboy (Erlang) VS Haskell (Warp)

okeuday mjtruog@REDACTED
Thu Jun 27 21:59:02 CEST 2013

To be a bit more accurate, when I hook-up elli to CloudI it shows that
cowboy has better performance when doing the same http_req test with
httperf.  So, it is likely that the benchmark (
https://github.com/yesodweb/benchmarks) could be faster with cowboy (i.e.,
CloudI is limiting throughput, probably mainly due to erlang:now/0 usage).
One of the main reasons cowboy is faster is that the connection rate is an
order of magnitude larger: 124.1 conn/s instead of 11.6 conn/s.  The
throughput, for the curious was 12539.2 req/s cowboy and 11560.6 req/s
elli.  I feel compelled to say again how httperf is not an accurate way to
judge performance (see
http://www.mnot.net/blog/2011/05/18/http_benchmark_rules), but it does
provide a quick number to guess with.  There is more serious loadtesting of
CloudI here
https://github.com/okeuday/CloudI/tree/master/src/tests/http_req .