[erlang-questions] Un-identifiable SSL issue when upgrading from R 15B-03 to 16A, 16B, 16B-01

Motiejus Jakštys desired.mta@REDACTED
Wed Jun 26 19:39:25 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Jesper Louis Andersen
<jesper.louis.andersen@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Motiejus Jakštys <desired.mta@REDACTED>
> wrote:
>>
>> Can you elaborate on that? For me packages from debian experimental seem
>> to work pretty OK, for more than two years, on many environments.
>>
>> If there are concrete issues, they could be addressed IMO.
>

> Two ways in which they are horribly broken:
>
> 1. They split up the OTP release into different parts. For instance, you
> need erlang-crypto in order to get the crypto application. It is not
> installed by default. Usually this leads to poor newbie users asking why
> they can't do crypto:start() to test their SSL stuff and so on. It would
> have been easier just to package everything into a single package.

Everyone should install 'erlang', which depends on erlang-crypto. Not
`erlang-base` or anything like that. `apt-get install erlang`.

> 2. erl -man lists won't work since man-pages are installed in odd places, or
> are not installed at all.

Always works/worked for me. In fact, this is one of the main reason
that man pages work out of the box only when I use the debian package.
With kerl you have to set paths; I do not allow myself using plain
sudo make install.

Contrary, with esl-erlang, check out `erl -man file`. The last thing
you will get is file(3erl) (last I tried). I figured out that this is
erlang-mode fault, it placed a symlink in some weird place. I am not
emacs fan, so did not take time to report it. Standard apt-get install
erlang && apt-get purge erlang-mode makes it perfect.

> 3. In older Ubuntu versions, there were symlinks which interfered with
> release generation so you could not generate a release.

Never tried anything older than R14B02; did not have any issues with
everything after that.

However, like Juan correctly pointed out, packages are dated.

--
Motiejus Jakštys