[erlang-questions] Erlang and/or MPI

Ivan Uemlianin <>
Wed Jun 26 16:19:37 CEST 2013

Dear All

I am being given access to an HPC (High Performance Computing) cluster.
  Some technical details are here [1] but basically it seems to be lots
of multi-core (12, 16, 64) computers glued together by something called

I have ideas of using the platform for speech recognition: processing
lots of data files, and training up large hidden Markov models or
dynamic Bayesian networks.  Much of the standard open-source software in
this area is in C (e.g., Sphinx, Kaldi).  I do have long-term
pipe-dreams/fantasies of writing similar stuff in erlang.

Induction to the HPC Wales platform includes classes on MPI and OpenMP.

So, my question is: what is the best (or, "are the good") ways to use
erlang in such an environment?

I've looked around on the web and found a lot of heated debate, and one
"benchmark".  One 2011 blog post [2] is informative, and there is a
relevant-looking 2008 research project [3].

Are there special best practices for working on a cluster of multi-core
computers, or is it a case of "write idiomatic erlang and everything
will be fine"?

With thanks and best wishes

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD

                         festina lente