[erlang-questions] Cowboy (Erlang) VS Haskell (Warp)

Knut Nesheim knutin@REDACTED
Wed Jun 26 11:23:26 CEST 2013

I'm a bit curious to your comments about unsupervised processes in Elli and
Elli not following the OTP principles. Why do you think unsupervised
request processes is a bad thing? They are short-lived and you cannot
restart them in any meaningful way.

It is true that Elli does not hook any of the processes it creates into a
supervisor. As a user of Elli, you include the Elli "server" inside your
supervision tree. This server starts linked acceptor processes which
accepts a new connection, then handles the request (and keep-alive) before
they die and the Elli server starts a new acceptor. If any of these
processes exits abnormally, Elli knows about it. If you wish to find these
processes to debug something, you can use elli:get_acceptors(ElliPid) or
process_info(ElliPid, links). Mochiweb and Yaws does more or less the same.

Knut