[erlang-questions] SSL/TLS transport customization

Ingela Andin ingela.andin@REDACTED
Fri Jun 14 23:51:16 CEST 2013

Due to an issue that came up on the EUC, I just want to clearify that the
Erlang ssl application now (even before R16B01) will let you customize the
transport protocol in such a way that you do not need to use the
inet-driver. From the documentation:

"transportoption() = {cb_info, {CallbackModule::atom(), DataTag::atom(),
ClosedTag::atom(), ErrTag:atom()}} - defaults to {gen_tcp, tcp, tcp_closed,
tcp_error}. Can be used to customize the transport layer. The callback
module must implement a reliable transport protocol and behave as gen_tcp
and in addition have functions corresponding to inet:setopts/2,
inet:getopts/2, inet:peername/1, inet:sockname/1 and inet:port/1. The
callback gen_tcp is treated specially and will call inet directly."

We plan to formalize the API and extend the documentation of it, but it is
there now and can be used.

Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP team - Ericsson AB