[erlang-questions] why is mmap so darn difficult

Tim Watson watson.timothy@REDACTED
Wed Jun 12 21:31:16 CEST 2013

On 12 Jun 2013, at 19:47, Max Lapshin wrote:
> For example, erlyvideo makes gen_server:call to a special queue before
> each disk read. It is slower, but it makes server much more stable.
> It makes many other different checks like process_info(Pid,
> message_queue_len) to make things more stable and server behaviour
> smooth.
>
> If you chase for speed of microbenchmarks, you can build a server that
> runs excellently on your laptop, but begins to block on production.
>
> This is my lesson from my experience.

Yes indeed, we've all done things like that. Of course it would be nice to have both, i.e., something that's fast and consistently reliable. I'm willing to sacrifice throughput where that's necessary of course, and the business of forcing reads/writes through a funnel is not a bad thing either. I'd just like that funnel to be a bit quicker is all. ;)

Thanks again for your helpful feedback - knowing about your experiences has definitely given me plenty of pause for thought, which is *always* a good thing.

Cheers,
Tim