[erlang-questions] Testing a large, heterogeneous system

David Welton davidnwelton@REDACTED
Wed Jul 31 10:55:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

> If you want to limit setup/teardown of the external parts (like your custom
> hardware), meck [1] is a great tool for mocking
> all or a subset of external dependencies.

Cool, that looks very useful indeed - thanks!

> Without knowing the internals of your system it's hard to give specific
> advice, but if you have a bunch of state-full stuff proper [2]
> has some very powerful tools for testing states and reasoning about what
> should be valid before and after state transitions. Checkout proper_statem
> [3] and this [4] example of a very useful test implementing the
> proper_statem callbacks.

Looks interesting - are there any examples?  It looks a bit ...
abstract.  With limited time and Erlang abilities, we need to aim for
stuff that gets the most coverage with the least amount of work.

Thank you
--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/