[erlang-questions] [ANN] NkSIP Erlang SIP Application Server

Tom Samplonius tom@REDACTED
Wed Jul 10 23:23:47 CEST 2013

On 2013-07-10, at 12:10 PM, Motiejus Jakštys <desired.mta@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hi Carlos,
>
> this is very interesting and certainly a lot of work. Can you tell us
> more where this project is going? Is there (will be there) a company
> backing this? In my perspective, VoIP world certainly needs something
> better than Asterisk... So this is a certainly a great job, but what
> next?

  All of bigger installations are using FreeSwitch (http://www.freeswitch.org/) instead of Asterisk.  The README says:

NkSIP is a pure SIP framework, so it does not support any real RTP media processing it can't record a call, host an audio conference or transcode. These type of tasks should be done with a SIP media server, like Freeswitch or Asterisk.

  So, it looks like more of a replacement for OpenSIPS, which is often used a SIP load balancer, or session border controller.

  If anything, NkSIP looks like a good component for Kazoo (http://2600hz.com/platform.html, https://github.com/2600hz/kazoo).  The Kazoo platform uses OpenSIPS and FreeSwitch, but most of the other stuff is Erlang (RabbitMQ, BigCouch, etc.).  Rather than using RabbitMQ to distribute SIP events from OpenSIPS/FreeSwitch between nodes and zones, using a SIP registrar on top of Riak seems a lot simpler.

Tom