[erlang-questions] idiomatic large data sets; shared and unshared

Felix Gallo felixgallo@REDACTED
Mon Jul 8 17:02:35 CEST 2013

Thanks much to Chandru for the simplification and to Jesper for the helpful
and thoughtful insights.  It turned out that I tricked myself in three
different ways when trying to set up the ets grid at first.  For future
readers here were the fundamental flaws in my reasoning:

1.  My test ran a million iterations of ets:insert({random:uniform(N),
random:uniform(M), P}).  Although my target was eventually N = M = 1000, I
ran it with N = M = 10 in order to be able to print out the grid and
visually spot check it for uniformity.  ets is good at many things but
inserting into a set or a bag (and not a duplicate bag) of size 100000 is
not one of them.

2.  set and bag both prevent duplicates from being inserted, which
obviously, in hindsight, is super bad when the data structure is a linked
list, because the entire list has to be traversed every time.  For the
scenario in which you have control over whether duplication happens in the
first place, going to duplicate_bag is a massive performance improvement.

3.  random:uniform/1 is moderately fast but under profiling turned out to
be a significant part of the performance.  Since the locations of bucketed
entities wouldn't be random in practice but rather client-provided, I
switched to using 'N rem M' to better assess ets speed.

F.