[erlang-questions] [HEADS UP] Emysql driver

Fri Jul 5 17:43:29 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Garrett Smith <g@REDACTED> wrote:

> At first glance, it looks like I'd be losing the connect timeout
> enhancements from here:
>
> https://github.com/gar1t/Emysql

Yes, we are currently missing those changes in the code base. I only took
branches which were updated fairly recently on github, and yours were
overlooked for some reason.

I like most of the changes you have in there and most of them definitely
should be part of the full release. I also agree that your functional
change to the gen_tcp:recv timeout is something we want to fix. The only
slight worry is that it may be a too big behavioral change for some people.
The other changes are changes I want as well, so i'll probably pull them
unless you want to prepare a PR yourself.

I guess the initial reason for having the TCP timeout was to catch slow
queries and get rid of them quickly, rather than waiting around. This makes
a lot of sense in an environment where you have a large amount of small
queries and are not allowed to wait around. But for larger queries and
procedure calls, this is definitely not what one wants.

The whole decoder loop looks weird as well. It should be possible to make
it smarter than what is it currently, but this is a future change.

Just drop me a note if you want to push it yourself or I should get to
work. But it won't be this weekend, so I'll only be able to look at this
Monday at the earliest, perhaps late Sunday.