[erlang-questions] What happens in Erlang if return receipt never arrives?

Paul Peregud paulperegud@REDACTED
Fri Jul 5 12:07:07 CEST 2013

In practice you just subscribe to notification of receivers death. It
does not solve a case when your receiver is overflowed with work, but
it is solved by careful planning of flow of messages in your
application.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM,  <jeti789@REDACTED> wrote:
> I just happened to read the thesis of Joe Armstrong and don't have much
> prior knowledge of Erlang. I wonder what happens if a delivery receipt for
> some message never arrives. What does the sending actor do? It sends the
> message another time? This could confuse the recipient actor when it
> receives the same message another time. It has to be able to tell that its
> receipt was not received and therefore the second message is void.
>
> That kind of problems always kept me away from solutions where message
> delivery is not transactional. I think I know the answer: the sending actor
> tells its supervising actor that something must be wrong when it didn't
> obtain a receipt in reasonable time causing the supervisor to take some
> action (like restarting the involed actors or something). Is this correct? I
> see no other solution that doesn't result in theroretically possible
> infinite message sends.
>
> Thanks for any answer,
>
> Bienlein

Best regards,