[erlang-questions] Message order and exit(Reason)

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Jan 30 01:31:40 CET 2013

On 30/01/2013, at 3:36 AM, David Mercer wrote:

> On Monday, January 28, 2013, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
>
>> Unless you are deliberately using American speling, s/behavior/behaviour/.
>> The English spelling of behaviour is usual in Erlang.
>
> So the guy who wants to be able to write Erlang in Maori wants to prohibit us from writing in American English.

You *quoted* the part "Unless you are deliberately using American speling".
Did you *read* it?
Where does it say "don't write in American"?

(As opposed to say Microsoft Word, which does its level best to stamp out
non-American varieties of English.)

The point at issue is not dialect X vs dialect Y but *consistency*.
To quote another chunk of Erlang documentation,

	Behaviour Module Attribute

	It is possible to specify that the module is the callback
	module for a behaviour:

	-behaviour(Behaviour).

	The atom Behaviour gives the name of the behaviour, which
	can be a user defined behaviour or one of the OTP standard
	behaviours gen_server, gen_fsm, gen_event or supervisor.

	The spelling behavior is also accepted.

	Read more about behaviours and callback modules in OTP Design
	Principles.

Given _that_, was it really so unlikely that the omission of the
'u' from the word was an _unintential_ typo?

There may well be other places where the word has been differently
spelled.  My point is not to follow this spelling or that speling
but to pick one and stick to it.

And what I said in an earlier thread was that I wanted my *students*
to be able to write Erlang in Māori because it is a policy of this
University that students should be allowed to perform assessment work
in Māori.