[erlang-questions] erlc speed (or lack thereof), Make and emake

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Fri Jan 25 03:28:19 CET 2013

On topic:

Anthony Ramine gave me a tip on how to build only modified erl files
using make's functionality directly, I'll try it out tomorrow and report
back.

Off topic:

On 01/25/2013 03:05 AM, Björn-Egil Dahlberg wrote:
>     P.S. Keeping mouth shut since rebar's automatic parallellization doesn't
>     seem to interest everyone else in the thread.... :-)
>

> rebar is awesome!
>
> I wonder why some people seem to shy away from it?

My reasons in short:

  *  Slow (especially for running tests)
  *  Annoying (it does recursion by default; and might do recursion in
some cases but not in others later, which is as bad)
  *  Inconvenient (it does funny things to its ct stuff which makes it
much slower and less practical than ct_run, and I run tests all the time)
  *  Unstable (options change at regular intervals)

I actually removed it initially to improve my development life (where I
do a lot of dialyzing and running tests), then decided to stop using it
entirely. I use Makefiles anyway, and rebar's functionality is
replicated in just a dozen more lines compared to the original Makefile.

I still support rebar for people who use my projects, I think it's the
best current solution to get started using Erlang quickly, I just don't
use it for my own development needs.

As for releases, relcool[1] sounds damn sexy, I have been advising them
a little on how to handle release upgrades, and will be using it
starting next week.

[1] https://github.com/erlware/relcool

--
Loïc Hoguin