[erlang-questions] C nodes and OTP

David Welton davidnwelton@REDACTED
Fri Jan 18 16:08:19 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Matthias Lang <matthias@REDACTED> wrote:

> MT> > If you don't need the startup decoupled, I believe an Erlang port is a
> MT> > better choice.
>
> DW> One of the big advantages of a C node is that the C code can live a
> DW> relatively independent life: if it crashes, it does not take Erlang
> DW> with it.   That's more important than simplicity or speed for us.
>
> It sounds like you're confusing a linked-in driver and a regular port.
> A linked-in driver can crash the Erlang VM. A plain port program cannot.

Sorry, yes, I think I was looking at this:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/tutorial/c_portdriver.html

which is what had me confused.  Regular old open_port might work for
what we want to do too...I'll have to consider it.  C nodes just
seemed cleaner and more decoupled.

--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/