[erlang-questions] install problem - wxwidgets, R15B03 - solved, sort of

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Sun Jan 13 07:06:50 CET 2013

Just installed R15B03 on Debian Squeeze.  Ran into lots of problems
getting wxwidgets to configure.  I don't think I'm alone in this,
googling for solutions, I found a number of other folks who got stuck on
this.

After digging through ../lib/wx/config.log, I discovered some
interesting things:

1.  First, I was getting  errors about there not being a working copy of
wxwidgets. Turns out, that when building wxWidgets, from source, one has to:

./configure --enable-unicode

and, after make; make install, I think it's necessary to:
exportLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

ldconfig

(not sure, the wxwidget build instructions are equivocal on this, after
multiple tries, I'm no longer sure whether this step was necessary or not)

2. Once past that, I started getting warnings about not being able to
link to wxwidgets, and looking in the logs, I found an error about not
being able to find wx/stc/stc.h.

Turns out that configure was looking in /usr/local/include/wx, but...
the make install was putting the file under /usr/local/include/wx-2.8/

The simple fix was to do:

ln -s /usr/local/include/wx-2.8/ /usr/local/include/wx

After which configure found everything, and make worked just fine.

I'm not quite wise enough in the ways of Autoconf to tell if this is a bug in ../lib/wx/configure.in,
or if it's a bug in in the Makefile for wxwidgets (though ../lib/wx/configure.in is smart enough to find gtk
files that are under ../gtk-2.0/...., so....

Figure this might be useful to folks.