[erlang-questions] Letting 'every process run until it is blocked' on an Erlang node.

Jan Henry Nystrom janhenrynystrom@REDACTED
Mon Feb 25 13:30:24 CET 2013

Hi,

Using tracing with the running flag will let you see when a process was scheduled out and in which function:

erlang:trace(new, true, [running]).
0
2> spawn(fun() -> receive X -> X end end).
<0.34.0>
3> flush().
Shell got {trace,<0.33.0>,in,{erlang,apply,2}}
Shell got {trace,<0.33.0>,out,{io,wait_io_mon_reply,2}}
Shell got {trace,<0.33.0>,in,{io,wait_io_mon_reply,2}}
Shell got {trace,<0.34.0>,in,{erlang,apply,2}}
Shell got {trace,<0.34.0>,out,{erl_eval,receive_clauses,6}}
….

But my hunch is that if you are trying to do this your are doing something fundamentally wrong, but hey without
more information it is hard to tell.

/Cheers Henry