[erlang-questions] Did Erlang's grammar change in R16A?

Evan Miller <>
Thu Feb 14 20:03:56 CET 2013

As I understood it, dots are legal in unquoted atom names. This
appears not to be the case in R16A. Is this intentional?

Erlang R15B03 (erts- [source] [smp:8:8] [async-threads:0]
[hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.9.3.1  (abort with ^G)
1> a.b.

Erlang R16A (erts-5.10) [source] [smp:8:8] [async-threads:10] [hipe]

Eshell V5.10  (abort with ^G)
1> a.b.
* 1: syntax error before: '.'

Kai Janson noticed this because the "mongodb" package fails to compile
under R16A due to a syntax error on an atom with a dot in it.

I couldn't find any mention of changing the grammar in the README. Is
this a bug?