[erlang-questions] [eeps] New EEP: setrlimit(2) analogue for Erlang

Richard Carlsson carlsson.richard@REDACTED
Fri Feb 8 14:18:53 CET 2013

On 02/08/2013 04:47 AM, Michael Truog wrote:
> The erts_debug:size/1 that Björn-Egil mentioned is really what I want, but we would need it to be documented to have this low-level view of memory consumption be official (it would also be cool if it could be mentioned in the memory portion of the efficiency guide).

Also, it's currently very slow on large structures, being implemented in
Erlang (using gb_trees and debugging BIFs like erts_debug:same/2). Do
not use in production if the structures may be huge.

The erts_debug:flat_size/1 function is fast and implemented in C, but
doesn't give you the true size since it ignores sharing. If Kostis
Sagonas' work on sharing-preserving copying operations was included in
OTP, we could have an efficient version of erts_debug:size/1.

    /Richard