[erlang-questions] About etop question

Mon Dec 16 11:26:18 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM, 郎咸武 <langxianzhe@REDACTED> wrote:

> In recently days, i found our server consume a lot of memory. For example,
> I  only type erl command in the shell. It is about to consume 4G memory. I
> try to monitor with etop toos. Then i met a new question which the Memory
> column  display some stars[1].

It is the formatting code which notes it cannot represent the size of the
number. Usually because the call to io_lib:format specifies a given number,
N, of characters and the numbers representation is too big to fit into N
characters.

Good libraries/tricks for hunting these kinds of problems:

* install an alarm_handler and run mem_sup. Report stuff about the Pid
using too much memory.
* Use Fred Hebert's `recon` library (ferd/recon on Github).