[erlang-questions] Elixir Protocols in Erlang & a Strange Warning

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Fri Dec 13 19:06:56 CET 2013

I think you're a bit confused here, because your implementation of
?protocolX(…) doesn't work like Elixir protocols. The trouble with
implementing this in Erlang is that in order to do it you need to have some
mutable data structure in the runtime that changes based on which modules
are loaded, since any module can define an implementation for some
protocol. Elixir's defprotocol just creates a new module for the given
protocol (e.g. 'Elixir.Enum'), and defimpl creates a separate module for
each implementation of a protocol (e.g. 'Elixir.Enum.List').

Erlang simply does not have any built-in support for the kind of dispatch
you're looking for. Parameterized modules were similar to what you are
proposing (but not like Elixir's protocols!), but they have been
deprecated. If you really feel the need to write very generic code, maybe
Erlang is not the language for you. Erlang works best when you can do
everything with concrete implementations. Elixir would likely fit more
abstract use cases better, but note that there is some runtime performance
cost for this indirection.

Haskell's type classes are also quite interesting too, as the import of a
type class instance doesn't propagate beyond the compilation unit so you
don't have as much of a namespace issue. The compiler can also get rid of
the indirection in most cases so there's not necessarily any cost for using
abstractions in that universe.

In any case, I can't think of a way to reasonably implement this in Erlang
using idioms that mesh well with the rest of Erlang. There is no OTP
standard for this kind of thing, and there isn't likely to be a good way to
do it any time soon. If there was an OTP "interface" standard, surely we'd
have a hook to customize what "~p" means to io_lib for our own types! But
alas, we can't really even define our own abstract data types in Erlang,
just type aliases over the built-in concrete types.

-bob