[erlang-questions] style question - best way to test multiple non-guard conditions sequentially

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Sun Dec 15 19:07:16 CET 2013

Hello,

I’ve thought about this again and realised that there is a technical reason not to expand cond expressions to nested cases directly. That reason is scoping rules.

Let’s assume we compile this expression naively to nested cases:

	cond X = false -> X;
	     X = true -> X
	end

=>

	case X = false of
	    true -> X;
	    false ->
	        case X = true of
	            true -> X;
	        end
	end.

I would be *extremely* surprised that such an expression would crash with badmatch instead of returning true as it should.

Regards,

--
Anthony Ramine