[erlang-questions] supervisors & slow init's

Sean Cribbs seancribbs@REDACTED
Thu Dec 5 17:47:23 CET 2013

I'd echo Jesper's comments in saying that is most important to make sure
the supervisor tree starts up quickly. There are several options I see:

1) Change A into an FSM (optional, but useful IMHO). Have its initial state
be 'connect_to_hardware' with a timeout of 0 returned from init/1, e.g.
{ok, connect_to_hardware, State, 0}. Then in 'connect_to_hardware', match
timeout and do the connection there, then transition to the 'ready' state.
Note that this state will be entered before any other messages are
received, meaning that B and C should probably use sync_send_event to
communicate with A.

2) Keep A as a gen_server, but do the same timeout trick in init/1. Have A
connect in handle_info when receiving 'timeout', and then notify B and C
that it's ready after.

3) Use Loic's proc_lib:init_ack + gen_server:enter_loop hack instead of the
regular gen_server/gen_fsm flow. This is less clean, but allows you to do
those slower blocky things at startup.

I think the moral of the story is that starting up your system and
implementing a protocol between processes should not be conflated. If
there's a sequence of steps to be done with potential exit points or
branches at each step, FSMs plus messages feels the most sane to me.