[erlang-questions] supervisors & slow init's

David Welton davidnwelton@REDACTED
Wed Dec 4 17:34:35 CET 2013

Hi,

I have several questions:

I need to start up something, hardware, say, that takes a while to
initialize, via an external process.  The next child of my supervisor
should not start until the first, slow one does.   How should I go
about notifying Erlang that things are done?  Currently, the external
system connects as an external node and sends a message.  Can I have a
receive in the gen_server's init to wait for that?

How long does Erlang wait for child processes to start, in any case?

Thanks,
--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/