[erlang-questions] How to get a worker's pid() after restarted by supervisor?

fxmy wang fxmywc@REDACTED
Fri Aug 30 03:43:09 CEST 2013

Thanks Dmitry for the advise :)

I worked out a way like bellow to automatically get informed new worker
process after restarted by supervisor.
If you can't get supervisor to voluntarily send restarted worker Pid, you
just let the worker himself to inform you :|
Though it seems kind of "ugly"

==================================
=====dispatcher.erl
==================================
-behaviour(gen_server).
%% Locally register( dispatcher, self() ).
handle_call( {startWorker, Args}, _From, State) ->
        worker_sup:start_child( Arg),
        receive
                {workerStarted, Args, Pid} ->
                        %% store {Args, Pid} into ets table & monitor this
Pid.
                        {reply, {ok, Pid}, State}
                after ?TIMEOUT ->
                        {reply, {cantStartWorker, Args}, State}
        end.

%%This should happen only when a worker is restarted by supervisor
handle_info( {workerStared, Args, Pid}, State) ->
        %% Update ets table & monitor Pid
        {noreply, State};
%% This should happen when a worker exits normally
handle_info( {'DOWN', _Ref, process, Pid, normal}, State) ->
        %% Update ets table
        {noreply, State}.

=====worker.erl
-behaviour(gen_server).

init(Args) ->
        %% Do things necessary
        dispatcher ! {workerStarted, Args, self() },
        {ok, State}.

So far seems good ,cheers XD

B.R.