[erlang-questions] lager and dynamic log cutting via compiled module

Max Lapshin max.lapshin@REDACTED
Sat Aug 24 16:42:29 CEST 2013

log4erl logging library has an interesting feature: on loading config it
generates module that cuts all log requests that are too verbose on caller
side without any ets lookups or calls.

lager instead makes ets call to find out current loglevel. I can't say that
it is a bad approach, but when my traffic is growing upper 8 Gbit/s from
single node, I have to calculate each microsecond.

I suppose that thousands of requests per second to single row in ets table
for finding out whether to log or not to log may be more blocking than
executing precompiled erlang code.

So, question: why approach with compiled on-fly module is not used? Just
because ets is more standard? Or "shut up and make pull request"?