[erlang-questions] compile: making asm and core official
Fri Aug 23 14:13:23 CEST 2013
Motivated by a discussion at https://github.com/rebar/rebar/issues/105
and Bjorn-Egil's suggestion, I'd like to ask for opinions on
officially supporting 'core' and 'asm' as compile:file/2 options.
(1) How likely are you to accept patches which would:
* Implement support for compile:file(File, [core]) same as
* Officially document 'core' and 'asm' as external names for
'from_asm' and 'from_core'?
* Change the existing documentation for 'asm' to not discourage use of
the option as much.
* Officially document that "erlc foo.core" and "erlc foo.S" have been
wired to from_core and from_asm for ages?
(2) Document compile_core/3 and compile_asm/3
Alternatively, one could call compile:compile_asm/3 and
compile:compile_core/3, but they're internal functions meant to be
used only from erl_compile (used by erlc). This would actually be the
most backwards compatible solution if we don't want to require a
So, what about alternatively or additionally documenting
compile_core/3 and compile_asm/3?
More information about the erlang-questions