[erlang-questions] Erlang's garbage collector

Yves S. Garret yoursurrogategod@REDACTED
Thu Aug 22 16:35:21 CEST 2013

Hi, I'm reading the O'Reilly book on Erlang and I found this paragraph in
it:

The garbage collector is also generational, meaning that it has several
generations of the heap (in Erlang’s case, two). A garbage collection can
be shallow or deep. A shallow garbage collection looks only at data in the
youngest generation; all data that survives three shallow garbage
collections will be moved to the old generation. A deep garbage collection
will occur only when a shallow collection fails to recycle enough memory or
after a (VM version dependent) number of shallow collections.

Am I understanding this correctly?  You have two heaps and if a piece of
memory keeps getting
referenced, it gets moved into the "old" heap and the "new" heap's memory
gets freed up a little,
yes?