[erlang-questions] (Googl never Erlanged) Rewriting a large production system in Go (matt-welsh.blogspot.com)

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Tue Aug 20 09:26:49 CEST 2013

Why do you paste us HN discussions? There's no better waste of time than
to read programmers comparing "sizes".

On 08/20/2013 07:02 AM, giovanni_re wrote:
> Rewriting a large production system in Go (matt-welsh.blogspot.com)
> 222 points by qdie 1 day ago | 173 comments
> http://matt-welsh.blogspot.com/2013/08/rewriting-large-production-system-in-go.html
>
> MW: PhD U. Cali Forni Berkeley
>

> ==========  https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6234736
> derefr 1 day ago | link You know, every time I see some Googler shocked
> at the effectiveness and various advantages of coding in Go, I wonder
> why Google never adopted Erlang. They could have been getting all these
> same advantages (and then some) a decade ago :)
>
> reply
>
> [GR:  Would Googl use an Erlang on its' search engine show?]
>

> zaphar 1 day ago | link (full disclosure: I work at google and also like
> erlang) Erlang has fantastic facilities for robustness and concurrency.
> What it does not have is type safety and it's terrible at handling text
> in a performant fashion. So if you don't care about either of those
> things and only care about robustness and concurrency then Erlang is
> great. There were internal discussions about Erlang here but the upshot
> was. We had already basically duplicated Erlangs supervision model in
> our infrastructure, only we did it for all languages and Erlang didn't
> offer any benefits in performance for us. It's only benefit would have
> been the concurrency model. That's much less benefit than Go gives. Go
> gives you Erlangs concurency model, a similar philosophy of robustness,
> type safety, all batteries included, and performance. Equating the two
> languages works in 1 or 2 dimensions but not on all the dimensions
> google cares about.
>
> reply
>
> derefr 1 day ago | link Interesting, thanks for that; it's pretty much
> what I guessed (especially the bit about the supervision tree and
> hot-code-upgrade advantages being mooted by your infrastructure.) On a
> tangent, though: > What it does not have is type safety I've tried to
> work this out before (I'm designing a new language for Erlang's VM), but
> as far as I can tell, type safety is in practice incompatible with
> VM-supported hot code upgrade. If you have two services, A and B, and
> you need to upgrade them both, but you can't "stop the world" to do an
> atomic upgrade of both A and B together (because you're running a
> distributed soft real-time system, after all), then you need to switch
> out A, and then switch out B. So, at some point, on some nodes, A will
> be running a version with an ABI incompatible with B. In a
> strongly-typed system, the VM wouldn't allow A's new code to load, since
> it refers to functions in B with type signatures that don't exist. On
> the other hand, in a system with pattern-matching and a "let it crash"
> philosophy, you just let A's new code start up and repeatedly
> try-and-fail to communicate with B for a while, until B's code gets
> upgraded as well--and now the types are compatible again. It's an
> interesting problem.

> [...]

Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy
Nine Nines