[erlang-questions] [ANN] erlang.mk build tool

Fri Aug 16 10:01:01 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:

> I would like to make an official announcement of erlang.mk now that all
> the features I wanted are in.

I have been using erlang.mk for a while now, and recently I converted
etorrent to use it as a test of the viability in larger projects. Typical
gotchas:

* Projects has no Makefile. erlang.mk needs one. So add one!
* No `modules` section in the .app file. erlang.mk needs one to replace it.
Not adding this makes relx behave badly.
* If you use relx, it is more strict in what it accepts.
* Relx can't yet overlay sys.config :/

Apart from that, erlang.mk is a bliss to work with. In one project I am
working with:

Core i5 2.4Ghz approx 2010 Macbook Pro, encrypted disk (this hurts
performance like mad):

Cold build:

Rebar: 40 secs
elrang.mk: 42 secs

Build where each file is compiled in advance:

Rebar: 20 secs
erlang.mk: 0.4 secs

For my development cycle, this is important enough to spend time rewriting
projects to use erlang.mk. Also note that rebar.config and erlang.mk can
co-exist, so you don't need to abandon rebar for erlang.mk, which is
important.