[erlang-questions] Request for comment: A proposal to introduce the concept of function domains

Thomas Järvstrand tjarvstrand@REDACTED
Sat Apr 27 13:07:43 CEST 2013

@Lukas:
There is actually no need need to introduce the concept of applications
into the language itself, merely support for the notion of different types
of exports. Interpreting the meaning of these exports can be left to xref,
which already has support for applications.

The point of the private type of export is for functions that have to be
externally callable, but that should never be explicitly referenced.
Examples of this are behaviour callback functions (such as the handle_call
etc. of a gen_server) and functions that are passed to or returned from
functions calls (such as spawn). Ie, they are functions that may only be
implicitly referenced (ie. in the calling code, either the module, the
function name or both would have to be a variable). Basically this means
that any calls to private functions that xref is able to detect are illegal.

@Robert
Yes, I'm aware of that EEP. It has similar aims and looks cosmetically
similar but the suggestion to limit access on a module level would make
things awfully messy IMHO. With EEP 5, you have to clutter your code with
individual exports for every single caller/callee-pair inside your
application. If you want to call a new function in your module, you would
now have to edit two files instead of one. A more serious flaw though is
that if you're writing a utility library that is to be used by others, you
have no idea who will be calling your module, and so you cannot export your
functions to them.

Thomas