[erlang-questions] Schedulers getting "stuck", part II

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Sat Apr 27 04:20:32 CEST 2013

Howdy.  This is a followup to the discussion that took place on this
list in October 2012, see:

    http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2012-October/069503.html
        (first message only, I dunno why)
    http://erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2012-October/069585.html
        (the rest of the thread)

I've been trying to figure out how to introduce the stuff that I've
written at:

    https://github.com/slfritchie/nifwait/tree/md5#readme

... but I still can't decide.  So I'll try for something short and
un-Scott-like.  For the long story, please read the README in the URL
above.

As for the short story, I believe a couple of things:

* R15B0x's schedulers are broken: Basho seen "stuck" schedulers in one of
  our apps with no custom NIF code.  And it's possible to get them stuck
  using only the 'crypto' module's MD5 functions.

* R16B's schedulers appear to be even more broken: I have a
  mostly-deterministic case that demonstrates schedulers that go to
  sleep and do not wake for minutes (or hours) when there is plenty of
  work to do.  This also is using only the 'crypto' module and does not
  require custom NIF code.

Discuss.  :-)

-Scott