[erlang-questions] [ANN] Lager 2.0.0RC2

Andrew Thompson andrew@REDACTED
Sat Apr 20 00:18:26 CEST 2013

So, I announced lager 2.0.0rc1 during my Erlang factory talk
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BNpOHFvg_Q ), but forgot to announce
it to the relevant mailing lists. So I'm announcing RC2 here.

What is lager?

Lager (as in the beer) is a logging framework for Erlang. Its purpose is
to provide a more traditional way to perform logging in an erlang
application that plays nicely with traditional UNIX logging tools like
logrotate and syslog.

https://github.com/basho/lager

Changes since lager 1.2.2:

* Metadata is passed to lager backends (breaks compatability with old
* backends)
* Switch from Mochiglobal to ETS for global 'config' storage
* Add 'application' to default trace metadata, captured at compile time
* Support for 'pretty printing' Cowboy (0.8+) and WebMachine errors
* Record pretty printing with lager:pr/2
* Colored console support (requires R16, thanks DeadZen)
* Overload protection from error_logger storms
* Many performance improvements (often more than 2x as fast)
* Many minor bug fixes

Changes since lager 2.0.0rc1

* Support for logging unicode to files
* New tracing engine, based on goldrush (thanks DeadZen)
* Updated documentation for 2.0

Please give it a try, and let me know if you have any problems. Lager
2.0.0 final will ship with Riak 1.4.

Andrew