[erlang-questions] MySQL driver

Henning Diedrich hd2010@REDACTED
Wed Apr 10 23:00:50 CEST 2013

Hi Dave,

if I remember right, you were using the driver that came from Yxa via Yarif's erlang-emysql-driver https://github.com/dizzyd/erlang-mysql-driver ?  (Here is the history of that. https://github.com/eonblast/Emysql#History)

It was found less than perfect when Nick and Jacob gave it something to chew building Rupture. I never spotted the problems myself I should add. That's purely from Nick Gerakine's and Jacob Vorreuter's words.

But they report that with much effort they could not get the races out of it. That's why they started emysql, which I later started maintaining, and which Jeremy just mentioned, https://github.com/eonblast/Emysql

Considerable work went into getting the pooling system of Emysql right. (What I don't know is when exactly it got buggy, it may have been after Jacob's Emysql fork that now lies dormant.) But I worked a while, with help from others to get all races out of the queuing.

However, the best fork of Emysql, I *think* is currently that of Chris Rempel at https://github.com/csrl/emysql as I got behind while making Erlvolt, the VoltDB driver, modeled in parts on Emysql. Chris did some impressive clean up. Now that Erlvolt is out, I'll turn around and catch up asap. But that's not a New York asap.

An alternative may be to go back to a more original Yxa version, like the one possibly still to be found in ejabberd. That may be more stable than Yariv's branch that you started out with. The "history" I linked to above has the reasons, why that branch may be not quite clean and hard to debug.

Best,

Henning