[erlang-questions] RE On node disconnections

Olivier BOUDEVILLE olivier.boudeville@REDACTED
Wed Apr 10 15:38:26 CEST 2013

Hi Vance,

Thanks for your answer!

Indeed by running:

        run_erl -daemon /tmp/my-pipe  . "exec erl [...]"

Then waiting for the pipes to be created, then running:

        echo "my_module:my_function()." >> /tmp/my-pipe.w

I could run a code that resists 'no_connection' exceptions and does not
need the user to type anything in the shell.

Adding a "tail -f erlang.log.1" pretty recreates what the 'init' module
gives out-of-the-box (but with an exception-safe VM).

A minor question: in run-erl.log a line tells "Client expected on FIFO
/tmp/my-pipe.r, but can't open"; I assume this is not a real problem?
I would have imagined that I could read this pipe (with a tail or a cat)
to monitor the program console outputs, possibly instead of relying on
erlang.log.1 for that. Maybe run_erl prevents that. Actually a tee on this
pipe could have been useful, as for longer outputs the newer logs will be
written in erlang.log.2, which makes a console monitoring tricky ("tail -f
erlang.log.1" having to become "tail -f erlang.log.2" etc.)

Thanks again,
Best regards,

Olivier.
---------------------------
Olivier Boudeville

EDF R&D : 1, avenue du Général de Gaulle, 92140 Clamart, France
Département SINETICS, groupe ASICS (I2A), bureau B-226
Office : +33 1 47 65 59 58 / Mobile : +33 6 16 83 37 22 / Fax : +33 1 47
65 27 13

vances@REDACTED
10/04/2013 11:34

olivier.boudeville@REDACTED
cc
erlang-questions@REDACTED
Objet
Re: [erlang-questions] RE On node disconnections