[erlang-questions] Erlang Type specifications and throw

Jesse Gumm gumm@REDACTED
Tue Apr 2 09:14:32 CEST 2013

(including the ML with this one)

Hi Rudolph,

With a situation like this, the more canonical Erlang approach is to do
something like: on success, return {ok, Pid} and on failure return the atom
'error'.

Then the spec would simply be:

-spec where(G::atom()) -> {ok, pid()} | error.

Then you can trivially use it in a case statement and use pattern matching.

Using a combination of throw and try blocks as intended behavior for
control flow is a recipe for confusion.

-Jesse