[erlang-questions] Erlang Distribution

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Sun Sep 30 01:20:51 CEST 2012

On 09/29/2012 02:18 PM, Hollin Wilkins wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to the mailing list. I've written several small libraries and servers in Erlang, and I am interested in learning more about its internals.
> Mainly, I am wondering if there are any papers on the distribution protocol for forming clusters on Erlang nodes. I have tried looking at the net_kernel and related source files to figure out how it works. But this code is quite complex, and I would understand it better with some sort of paper or companion guide to explain the protocol at a higher level.

I think these links within the Erlang documentation are the most relevant:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/erl_dist_protocol.html#id89232
http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/erl_ext_dist.html
http://www.erlang.org/doc/tutorial/cnode.html

I am not sure about paper references that describe the protocol.  However, the external term format changes enough that a paper would probably be outdated and inaccurate.

I also would be interested in a paper that goes into the details (concerns/choices/decisions) of the protocol between connected nodes (probably includes EPMD details), since that protocol probably hasn't changed as much.