[erlang-questions] Spec is diabolical IMHO

Mike Oxford moxford@REDACTED
Thu Sep 27 21:20:16 CEST 2012

I'm in the "I like C/C++ .h files," just like I like the concept of IDL
files.

I can very quickly scan through the file (just like Erlang -export areas)
and see what's available and the parameters.
Otherwise you're either bogged down going through the code or relying on a
secondary toolpass to generate documentation which then has to be hosted
somewhere.

"What was the exact parameter list?"
"Hold on, let me fire up a browser to get to the file/site."
"Nevermind, I just opened up the header and I got it."

Headers have downsides, to be sure, but they have a very nice usage pattern
for figuring out WTF this object is, what it appears to do and maybe how it
plays into the overall architecture of the system.

Also, I can grep a header dir and not get slammed with a wall of
implementation crap.

-mox