[erlang-questions] Supervisor maximum restart frequency under high load

Ilyushonak Barys barys_ilyushonak@REDACTED
Mon Sep 24 13:27:00 CEST 2012

Hi, erlangers!

I am kindly ask you to help me clarify the way I see the Erlang design pattern for the following issue.
I have the server Erlang process called A, and many similar client processes, called B. The A process has two states – “ok” and “recovery”. While it “ok” – client can use the A API and do the stuff. While the A at the “recovery” the clients got the error and be restarted by the application supervisor.
The my problem starts while I have a lot of B processes and “recovery” state of A takes time. The supervisor of B got the “Maximum Restart Frequency” and fails.
While I am using application supervisor it brings me to restart my OTP application.

What the best way to fix it? Use the separate supervisor for the B? Should I handle the reply from the A in “recovery” state manually (what about fail early and often)?

Best Regards,
Barys Ilyushonak

The information contained in this message may be privileged and conf idential and protected from disclosure. If you are not the original intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message and delete it from your computer. Thank you for your cooperation. Troika Dialog, Russia.
If you need assistance please contact our Contact Center  (+7495) 258 0500 or go to www.troika.ru/eng/Contacts/system.wbp