[erlang-questions] io_lib format inconsistancies

Andrew Thompson andrew@REDACTED
Wed Sep 19 21:39:15 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 03:38:42PM +0200, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> These are the obvious flaws I see:
>
> * Something like ~P for printable binaries is needed for strings,
> but the value 4 characters for depth 1 seems low. An atom has max length
> 256 bytes (I think) giving depth 1. ~P for printable binaries should behave
> like for strings.

So what should the behaviour be? Print printable binaries completely, or
up the depth from 4 to something larger and apply it to strings as well?
If so, what should the limit be?

> * The discrepancy for ~P vs. ~W on <<>> should be fixed.

Agreed, I'll make a patch.

Thanks again for confirming my suspicions that these weren't really
thought out behaviours.

Andrew