[erlang-questions] Style wars: junk comments

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Wed Sep 12 13:11:21 CEST 2012

No!

I find it much easier to understand what is going on if I group the main function together with its "helper" functions. They are working together as one unit and often the helper functions only have meaning within the context of the main function. It also makes it easier to comment the whole unit and have local comments where necessary. The comment to the main functions describes what this functions does and how it does it, while comments for the helper functions just describe features of that function. In many cases this is the erlang alternative to having local functions. The only problem is when helper functions are shared between main functions in which case I usually put them together with the first function.

I never order my API functions alphabetically but prefer to group them according to what they do. For example if there is a server I will have the start/start_link/stop functions together as they managed the server as a whole. I will group API functions after what they do, so I will put functions that access one property together.

I will also group my export declarations in a similar way, sometimes commented, just to make it easier to see which exported functions belong together.

Robert