[erlang-questions] Binary match in function head doesn't compile

Erik Pearson erik@REDACTED
Wed Oct 31 20:52:09 CET 2012

Thanks, Robert, that helps clarify the state of things.
Do you think it would be useful if it worked "the way I would like"?
It seems that in the specific case of walking a binary by extending
the length of a sub-binary in the match (via a Len argument) would be
much more efficient than binary accumulation which always does at
least some allocation (256 bytes) and copying, and also more efficient
than moving the  code into a case (where the Len will already be
bound.) It seems that the compiler would need to notice that what it
thinks is an unbound variable is actually guaranteed to be bound in
another argument, and express this as a dependency in the head pattern
match code.
Erik.