[erlang-questions] Did I do it right?

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Mon Oct 29 23:51:58 CET 2012

I would say that that is a very good reason to try rolling your own. When you better understand what is going on inside an OTP gen_server then you can make a better choice of which way to go. Choosing to use a gen_server provides you with a lot of extra functionality and safety (for example calling the gen_server will check that it is there and doesn't die on you). However you do lose some control when receiving messages and there is an extra cost. You need to choose what you really need.

I am not advocating against using a gen_server, but I don't feel that you should indiscriminately always use one.

Robert