[erlang-questions] Erlang... Newsletter?

Michael Truog mjtruog@REDACTED
Mon Oct 29 20:48:24 CET 2012

I think a newsletter would be a good opportunity to provide information about Erlang and open source usage of the language, if it avoids just trying to be a sales letter for a specific company (and/or product).  One topic I would really want to see in a newsletter, is recent changes everyone should be aware of in the next release of Erlang, to make the release a bit more transparent... with any bugs mentioned explicitly as they are found, and bug fixes mentioned... in a way that is interesting.  The current release notes do seem to list information, but the context of bugs mentioned is often unknown, and the description is usually quite short (for any item on the list).

Another good topic that would be good to mention in the newsletter is performance.  Often, with new versions of Erlang, people complain about slower performance (faster performance doesn't get as many emails, strangely).  So, it would be nice to have info specifically about Erlang performance, in very specific circumstances.  Some people seem to believe that benchmarks should never be shared, and they should always be specific to someone's use case... however, that approach only encourages ignorance and a silo-ed environment.  Some of the recent lock-free changes could be a great opportunity to show how these changes really improve Erlang, with simple examples (which no doubt exist somewhere, but few have seen).

An interesting topic would be what is currently regarded as the most stable Erlang for production usage, and what is regarded as the beta release of Erlang.  If someone were to judge based on the Erlang version, all releases since 1998 are "beta" which might scare a newbie (I have heard scared newbies complain at a recent conference, because of this).

So, I see a newsletter as an opportunity for Erlang to show that it can be both open source and transparent, during its development, just to improve communication and education among the various programmers that use Erlang.