[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Chris Hicks silent_vendetta@REDACTED
Fri Oct 26 08:04:47 CEST 2012

While I can understand the frustration that some people seem to fear, I can't help but think that there are solutions to problems that seem to be ignored. For example, if the language has full unicode support and tell the difference between characters which look the same to us, but are obviously not to the machine...how hard would it be to create a parser for a src file, or input, which literally does nothing more than turn the code into strings of the unicode value. Don't want the entire file? How about just the functions, listed in order? How about just one function matching the input just passed in. There just seem to be so many ways that a unicode capable system could compensate for our human failings.
Now, you can absolutely tell me that implementing a system that is aware and capable in that way is a royal pain in the ass and I would have zero experience with unicode to counter your argument. But if you could have your VM default to accept only a specific encoding and to throw warnings and stop, or continue depending on your needs, compiling/running a module then you could, with virtually no effort, make sure that at least your code is only interacts with other code that you expect.
That one example is hardly a complete system but the point is this. If expanding the language respects the cultural wishes of peoples and laws of other countries without detracting from the experience of those people who don't want to be bothered with it then don't we at least need to give it a serious look? If it's technically impossible without seriously compromising the integrity of the language then sure, don't do it, but even if it's difficult but can be done without degrading the experience of others...why not?
Chris.