[erlang-questions] Using the OTP 'rpc' service (rex) under high load, was: Re: Load balancing/multiplexing rpc calls amongst Erlang Nodes

Joshua Muzaaya <>
Wed Oct 24 08:24:51 CEST 2012

indeed, this so helpful of you. You have saved me alot of problems. I was
experiencing the same and thought that i was doing things the wrong way.
Thank you so much.

Designed with WiseStamp -

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Scott Lystig Fritchie <
> wrote:

> Hi, Joshua.  One note of caution about the rpc service, or more
> specifically about the 'rex' gen_server that implements the server side
> of the client/server remote execution service.
> The 'rex' process is a single OTP gen_server and thus can use at most a
> single CPU core's worth of computation resource.  Experience with using
> rpc/rex with Riak has shown that certain workloads can easily overwhelm
> the rex server's ability to quickly execute requests from remote
> clients.  When possible, I'd recommend avoiding using the 'rpc' module
> and bypass 'rex' by spawn()/spawn_monitor()/spawn_link()'ing worker
> processes directly on a remote node.
> -Scott

*Muzaaya Joshua
Systems Engineer
*"Through it all, i have learned to trust in Jesus. To depend upon His Word"