[erlang-questions] Turning rebar into a package manager

Loïc Hoguin essen@REDACTED
Tue Oct 23 19:55:04 CEST 2012

On 10/23/2012 07:33 PM, Gleb Peregud wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Loïc Hoguin <essen@REDACTED> wrote:
>> An index of Erlang projects is really all that's missing. Better if the
>> index can be queried through rebar.
>>
>> $ rebar search http
>> cowboy http://example.org/cowboy
>> mochiweb http://example.org/mochiweb
>>
>> $ rebar show cowboy
>> (detailed infos about cowboy project)
>
> http://expm.co/ solves server side part. expm may add a plugin for
> rebar to add "search" command. The slight problem with rebar is that
> it is mostly used as a local per-repo binary, not as a global one.

It doesn't solve the server side part. The package information available
is for the most part entirely useless when you are looking for packages.
It does the strict minimum for this purpose: small one-line description
+ keyword list. Plus you have to leave the package list and scroll down
to find the github link where the useful information can be found. It's
trying to do packages, when what I need is an index of projects. The
index page there with a github/project homepage link instead of an
internal link on the name would do wonders.

As for rebar being per-repo, that's not that true anymore. And since
it's pretty much the de facto standard now, it's not really needed now.

--
Loïc Hoguin
Erlang Cowboy