[erlang-questions] detection of hostname

Dmitry Kolesnikov dmkolesnikov@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 23:27:53 CEST 2012

Hello Vlad,

I believe your question relates a network planning and administration...
According to my understanding Erlang uses DNS resolver routine supplied by OS.
Of course, if host has multiple names then this becomes an issue.

1. You have to come up with particular schema of FQDN assignment to you nodes.
2. You have to resolve synchronization of /etc/hosts across multiple node in the cluster.
3. If you have multiple adapter then they either provides HA within same network or accesses different sub-network. I do not think that you are planning to run Erlang cluster across different sub-networks.

So, I would repeat again but DNS is a standard way of retrieving host name but you have to put an effort to configure it.

I've been always running Erlang clusters within same IP network. I've used both approaches /etc/hosts and IP. IP worked fine when node had a static address but /etc/hosts were used with dynamic IP.

- Dmitry