[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 16:57:11 CEST 2012

On 22 Oct 2012, at 16:49, Göran Båge wrote:

> I can maybe understand that some people want to write names and comment and what not in their
> native language in code they use for themselves. But why should Ericsson care about that?

Because promoting Erlang outside of Ericsson is of important to Ericsson, as long as they want to use it themselves.

Also, since Ericsson has design centers in e.g. China, making it easier to spread Erlang in China increases the chance that Ericsson will be able to hire good Erlang programmers there, as well as that universities will want to pick up Erlang as a teaching language.

The potential difficulties in hiring Erlang programmers has always been perhaps the strongest argument _against_ using Erlang even inside Ericsson - not least since the company is well aware of the cost of training programmers in a proprietary language (like PLEX).

BR,
Ulf W

Ulf Wiger, Co-founder & Developer Advocate, Feuerlabs Inc.
http://feuerlabs.com