[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Göran Båge goran.bage@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 16:49:47 CEST 2012

Aren't you all forgetting something?

I can maybe understand that some people want to write names and comment and what not in their
native language in code they use for themselves. But why should Ericsson care about that?

Erlang was developed by the CS-lab at Ericsson for internal use (I know this, I was there).
It was later released as open source by Ericsson thanks to some intricate moves by  Bjarne,
Mike, Joe, Robert and more, but as far as I know Erlang is still controlled by the Erlang group at
Ericsson, employed and paid by Ericsson, not by some organization with a goal to spread Erlang
to the masses.

So why should Ericsson pay for this, Ericsson would not employ anyone that don't speak English,
as English is their corporate language (or at least it used to be, there was even a standard
Ericsson English defined). And as far I can see Ericsson would not have any use for non-english
code produced somewhere.

Regards
--Göran