[erlang-questions] Training new Erlangers

Juan Jose Comellas juanjo@REDACTED
Mon Oct 22 15:59:36 CEST 2012

I can share my experience having had to train 15+ developers (coming mostly
from a Java background) when rewriting an existing project practically from
scratch.

First, try to hire people that are really interested in Erlang and
genuinely want to learn it and program in it. We had a mixed group of
people, and with those that were "forced" to use it the results were not
that great, whereas with the ones that had wanted to learn it by themselves
the results were excellent. Self-motivation is key to get people to excel
at it (I know, this is probably a truism).

Second, make sure that you have several people in the project that already
know Erlang very well and can act as a reference to other developers. At
the beginning it's very difficult to know which one is the correct way to
implement something in Erlang, especially if you're not coming from the
functional programming world. Pair-programming might help for this, but we
didn't have the resources to try it.

Third, keep in mind that the code the new (to the Erlang world) developers
write will probably be inelegant (in Erlang terms) and not use the
established Erlang features and idioms. With enough will power they'll
probably get whatever they have to do to work, but it takes a while to get
into the Erlang mindset (especially the let it crash philosophy), so if
possible allow time for a rewrite.

BTW, I don't regret one bit making the switch to Erlang.

Good luck with it,

Juanjo